Recipe makes 6 dozen cookies
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups lard
- 1 ½ cups white sugar
- ½ teaspoon Amoretti® Anise Oil Extract (#692)
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup brandy
- ¼ cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the lard and 1 1/2 cups sugar until smooth. Mix in the anise oil, and beat until fluffy. Stir in the eggs one at a time. Add the sifted ingredients and brandy, and stir until well blended.
- On a floured surface, roll the dough out to 1/2 or 1/4 inch thickness, and cut into desired shapes using cookie cutters. The traditional is fleur-de-lis. Place cookies onto baking sheets. Mix together the 1/4 cup of sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over the tops of the cookies.
- Bake for 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the bottoms are lightly browned.