7 Facts About Oranges (From Amoretti Premium Syrups)
We’ve covered the blood orange in the past, but what about your regular, Average Joe-Orange? You might be surprised to learn that there’s a lot more to the orange than you originally thought – including the fact that there is no regular, Average-Joe-Orange, unless you mean to refer to a Citrus Maxima-Citrus Reticulata hybrid.
The orange is a wonderfully diverse and poetic citrus, with varieties that bear names like Calabrese, Biondo Riccio, Mactera, Mosambi, Fukuhara, and Salustiana. Want to know more? Check out these seven interesting facts about one of the world’s most popular citruses:
7 Fascinating Facts About Oranges
- Oranges were introduced to Florida, a top grower (more on that next), by Ponce de Leon, a Spaniard explorer and conquistador. When he arrived in Florida in the 16th century, he ordered every man under his control to each plant 100 orange seeds where he (the planter, that is) deemed most suitable.
- More oranges are grown in Florida than anywhere else in the United States. In fact, Florida is the second highest producer of oranges. Only Brazil grows more oranges. Other U.S. locales include Arizona, Texas, and California.
- Not all oranges are as sweet as the ones from Florida. In fact, the Seville, a sour orange, is so bitter that virtually no one eats it fresh. Instead, it’s used almost exclusively in marmalade and as rootstock.
- Temperature is a very finicky thing in the orange-growing business. Three to four hours of 28 ºF or lower can kill an entire crop. However, the same temperature for just an hour or so might make an orange sweeter!
- The bergamot orange is primarily used for oils, perfumes, cosmetics, and extract flavoring.
- 95% of all oranges grown in Florida are turned into orange juice.
- Only 20% of the world’s orange crop is sold as whole fruit. The rest goes to orange juice, extracts, preserves, and other non-food uses.
Thirsty for some orange flavor? We’re proud to have four unique orange syrups in our online store:
Amoretti Premium Orange Syrup: This is our classic premium syrup. Perfect for teas and cocktails.
Amoretti Premium Grand Orange Syrup: Just like the liqueur (but without the alcohol).
Amoretti Premium Triple Sec Syrup: Another great tasting, non-alcoholic liqueur. You won’t find this unique orange syrup anywhere else!