Once relegated to soul food bistros and jazz clubs in the Deep South, chicken & waffles has quickly become a regular menu item in restaurants, diners, cafes and even on food trucks all across the country, and offered for breakfast, lunch and dinner, as well as late night fare. One fast food chicken place has even attempted to jump on the bandwagon by creating a replica chicken and waffle meal, without waffles but with waffle batter coated chicken tenders, a buttermilk biscuit and seasoned fried potatoes.
There are many ways to prepare and serve chicken & waffles, as demonstrated by the above referenced fast food chicken place’s attempt. You can find recipes to prepare chicken & waffles in every way imaginable, from a simple presentation of deep fried chicken pieces served next to a waffle covered with maple syrup to shredded roast chicken mixed with gravy and served over a waffle, so the recipe below is by no means the only way to prepare the dish, but we believe it is a very good representation, enhanced by the distinctive flavor of oatmeal in both the waffles and the chicken, that you will find enjoyable, while the honey Dijon sauce provides a delicious flavor note that is not as cloyingly sweet as a maple syrup based sauce.
Give our Chicken & Waffles recipe a try at your next week-end brunch and see if you don’t agree that it is a tasty menu item whose time has come. If you don’t agree, or you would like to see other chicken and waffle recipes, just let us know and we will do our best to accommodate you.
Oven Fried Chicken Breasts
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup oat flour
- 2 tsp salt, divided
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp ground black pepper, divided
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- 1 cup Panko bread crumbs
- Non-Stick cooking spray
- Place chicken breasts in a plastic zipper bag, add the buttermilk, squeeze out all the air and zip the bag closed. Put the zipper bag in a bowl in the refrigerator and allow the chicken to marinate for from 4 hours to overnight.
- Remove the chicken from the zipper bag, pat it dry with paper towels, and discard the buttermilk marinade and the bag. Place the chicken breasts between two sheets of plastic wrap and gently pound them with a meat tenderizer or a heavy pan just until they are an even thickness.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil, place a cooling rack on the baking sheet and spray it with non-stick cooking spray.
- In one wide shallow dish (pie pans are perfect for this), thoroughly combine the oat flour, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp dry mustard, 1 tsp onion powder, ½ tsp ground black pepper and ½ tsp garlic powder. Whisk the ¼ cup buttermilk with the large egg and pour into a second wide shallow dish. In a third wide shallow dish thoroughly combine Panko crumbs with the remaining 1 tsp salt and ½ tsp ground black pepper.
- Dredge each chicken breast in the oat flour, dip them in the egg wash, and roll them in the seasoned Panko crumbs until completely coated. Place the chicken breasts on the rack in the baking sheet and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until chicken is golden brown and its internal temperature reads 165°F on an instant read thermometer. While the chicken is baking, prepare the Belgian waffles.
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 cup quick cooking oats
- 6 Tbs butter, melted
- 4 Tbs Amoretti Oatmeal Cookie Artisan Flavor
- 3½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp Amoretti Madagascar Bourbon vanilla (2 fold) extract
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine flour, oats, and baking powder.
- In a second mixing bowl, lightly whisk the egg yolks, add the buttermilk, the butter the vanilla extract and the Oatmeal Cookie Artisan Flavor and combine.
- Create a well in the dry ingredients, add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and whisk just until combined. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form and fold the egg whites into batter.
- Bake in a preheated waffle iron according to manufacturer’s directions until golden brown. While the waffles are baking, prepare the honey Dijon Syrup
Honey Dijon Sauce
- ½ cup honey
- ½ cup Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- In a medium bowl, combine the honey and Dijon mustard. Add the olive oil and the cayenne pepper and whisk until blended.
- In a medium bowl, combine the honey and Dijon mustard. Add the olive oil and the cayenne pepper and whisk until blended. Place one chicken breast on each waffle and drizzle liberally with the Honey Dijon sauce.