Amoretti Almond Nut Flavored Syrup: 8 Interesting Facts
Almond is one of the few flavors that can taste amazing in desserts and lattes, as well as in fresh salads and savory dishes from the grill. Not only are its culinary uses rich and diverse, but we find the nut’s history to be equally fascinating.
In developing Amoretti Premium Almond Syrup, one of our favorite nut-flavored syrups for coffee, we came across some interesting facts to share with coffee-lovers…
8 Almond Facts for Coffee Drinkers
- More than 90 percent of the world’s almonds are grown right here in our home state of California. Germany and Japan are two of the world’s top importers and consumers.
- There are around 6,000 almond growers in California alone! Considering the fact that they have to produce 100 percent of the United State’s commercial supply and 80 percent of the world’s supply, it’s no wonder there are so many.
- Almonds first arrived in California in the mid-18th century, brought over from Spain by the Franciscan Padres.
- Almonds are one of the oldest cultivated foods in the world. References to the nut have been found in many ancient manuscripts, including the Old Testament of the Bible.
- Though the Romans were big fans of almonds, they referred to them as “Greek nuts,” since they knew them as a Greek product.
- Actually, the Romans loved almonds so much that they would make a show of publicly giving sugared almonds to the powerful men in their culture.
- In Japan, a mixture of slivered almonds and dried sardines is a popular snack.
- You might be surprised to learn that the almond is actually a “stone fruit” – related to cherries, plums, and peaches!
Almond Flavored Syrups for Coffee
When it comes to enjoying the great millennia-old taste of almonds in your coffee, you’ve got two great options to choose from:
Amoretti Premium Almond Syrup is our classic almond syrup – perfect for lattes, protein shakes, or just regular, black coffee! It has the great taste of almonds with just the right amount of sweetness.
Amoretti Organolicious Almond Flavored Blue Agave Nectar is made from organic blue agave nectar, a healthy alternative to sugar. We recommend using this nut flavored syrup for making a cup of Almond Hazelnut Coffee.
What’s your favorite use for almonds and almond-flavored coffee syrup? Tell us on the Amoretti Facebook page!