If we had to choose one favorite summer herb, it would probably be basil. While basil is delicious in Caprese salad and pasta salad, it is a surprisingly refreshing beverage ingredient. We’ve created a gin and lemonade cocktail recipe that highlights this tropical Asian herb. Before we jump into the basil, gin, and lemonade cocktail recipe, check out some of these facts about basil.
Surprising Basil Facts
- Basil is native to tropical Asia.
- Though basil has been used in tropical Asian regions for centuries, botanists aren’t certain when exactly the Western world got a hold of this plant. It is first mentioned in Anglo documents in the mid-17th century. American papers mentioned basil for the first time in the mid-18th century.
- Basil is a key ingredient for many recipes that come from Northern France and other Northern European countries.
- Many people only use the basil leaves, which are, of course, the tastiest parts! However, you can use the basil plant’s flower buds as a garnish in a cocktail or on a salad.
- Of course, one of basil’s most famous uses is pesto, which is produced by pestling basil, pine nuts, Parmesan, and olive oil.
- Green, sweet basil (Genoese Basil) isn’t the only kind of basil. There are tons of varieties, including African Blue Basil, Cinnamon Basil, Hairy Basil, Purple Basil, and more!
Ready to try the recipe? Pick up a bottle of agave nectar, and you can whip out this recipe, which serves six!
Amoretti Lemon-Basil Cocktail Recipe
- 10-12 basil leaves
- 2 thinly sliced lemons
- 4 pumps Amoretti Organolicious Premium Blue Agave Nectar
- 6 oz gin
- 6 oz elderflower liqueur
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1 (12 oz) can club soda
Muddle basil and lemon slices in a large pitcher. Add the agave nectar, gin, elderflower liqueur, and lemon juice. Add ice, stir the concoction, and serve into six Tom Collins glasses. Top off each glass with club soda. Serves six.
If you’ve never had agave nectar before, we highly recommend giving it a try in this cocktail recipe. The unique sweetness of agave is the perfect compliment to a drink recipe that’s packed with so much herbal and citrus flavors. Plus, our agave nectar is made from USDA-certified organic blue agave. It’s also vegan, kosher, and gluten- and GMO/GEO-free!
You’ve got nothing to lose. Don’t like it? Just let us know, and we’ll take care of you.