If you are following our blog, you know that we are planning to provide a brunch recipe every week that you can share with family and friends, and we will do everything possible to furnish each recipe in time to try it out over the coming week-end.
Below is the next installment in our Amoretti Invites You to Brunch series: Salted Caramel-Pecan Sticky Buns, featuring Amoretti Salted Caramel Artisan Flavor. This recipe has a medium degree of difficulty, and the finished product will be welcomed by anyone who wants to enjoy a bit of sweetness with their savory breakfast items, as well as those who prefer their sweetness at the end. These sticky buns are delicious on their own as you sip a special coffee or tea beverage when brunch is almost over, but they can also provide a sweet accompaniment to a savory omelet or a plate of scrambled eggs and bacon.
I know I previously suggested that you make everything yourself, or ask your guests to bring a brunch dish of their choosing, but what is really special is preparing one or more of these brunch dishes with a close personal friend or significant other that also enjoys cooking. Nothing strengthens a couple’s bond like preparing a meal together, the smaller the kitchen the better!
Salted Caramel-Pecan Sticky Buns
- 4 cups Bread flour
- ⅓ cup evaporated cane juice or granulated sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1½ Tbs active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm (90°F to 110°F) milk
- ⅓ cup butter, softened
- 1½ Tbs Amoretti Salted Caramel Artisan Flavor
- 1 egg
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ¼ cup dark corn syrup
- 1 cup pecan halves
- Coarse Sea Salt
- 2 Tbs butter, softened
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp Chinese 5 Spice
- ¼ tsp Cayenne pepper
- In a large bowl, combine warm milk, yeast, and 1 Tbs of sugar and allow it to proof for 5 minutes. Once the milk gets bubbly and frothy, add the remaining sugar and stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Pour the milk mixture into the bowl of a stand mixer with a dough hook attached. Add 2 cups of flour, the salt, the butter and the egg and beat on low speed for 1 minute. Add the Amoretti® Salted Caramel Artisan Flavor, increase speed to medium, and knead the dough for 2 minutes, adding enough of the remaining flour so that the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl. Dough should feel a bit sticky, but not stick to your fingers. You may not need all the flour.
- Remove dough from the mixer bowl and dough hook, put it into a greased mixing bowl and turn to coat. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and allow the dough to rise in a warm place until it has doubled in size. An unheated oven with the light on is the perfect place.
- While the dough rises, prepare the topping by bringing the brown sugar and butter to a boil in a 2 quart saucepan, stirring constantly Remove the saucepan from the heat and add the corn syrup. Pour the mixture into an ungreased 13- x 9- x 2-inch pan and sprinkle with pecan halves.
- Punch down the dough and turn it out onto a floured surface. Lightly flour the dough and roll it into a 15×10 inch rectangle with a long edge facing you. Spread 2 Tbs of softened butter onto the rectangle, leaving about ½ inch on the long edge opposite you unbuttered. Whisk the chopped pecans, brown sugar, nutmeg, five spice powder and cayenne pepper together in a medium bowl, sprinkle it evenly over the butter, and press the mixture into the butter with a rolling pin. Roll the rectangle up tightly, beginning with the 15-inch side closest to you. Pinch the bare edge of the dough into the roll to seal. Stretch and shape the roll until it is even. Slice the roll into fifteen 1-inch slices. Place the slices, cut side down, on the prepared topping, cover with plastic wrap and allow the slices to rise in a warm place until they are touching and have almost doubled in size.
- Preheat oven 350°F
- Bake the sticky buns in a 350°F oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove the pan from the oven and immediately turn it upside down onto a heatproof tray or serving plate. Let stand 1 minute to allow the caramel to drizzle over the buns, remove the pan and sprinkle liberally with the coarse sea salt. Sticky buns may be served warm or cooled to room temperature.