- ½ cup chopped raisins
- 1 cup boiling water
- ½ cup shortening
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup molasses
- 2¼ cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves, optional
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Soak raisins in the boiling water.
- Cream the shortening, sugar, and egg, then blend in the molasses. Sift together the remaining ingredients, except the raisins, and stir it into the egg mixture. Now add the soaked raisins.
- Divide the batter equally between two greased and floured loaf pans. Bake them in a 325°F oven for 30 to 40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of each comes out clean.
- Cool the cakes in the pans for 5 minutes, then remove them from the pans and cool them completely on a wire rack.
- Cut each cake in half horizontally and frost the top and center only with our basic vanilla frosting. Run a fork over the top to create an authentic effect.