Who doesn’t love brownies? They’re rich and chocolatey, but not overly sweet or heavy like fudge can be. Brownies make the perfect dessert, finger food at parties, or just something to eat with your coffee and tea.
Our new recipe puts a spin on a regular brownie by adding a crème de menthe cream cheese topping. The delightful minty flavor pairs perfectly with the richness of the chocolate. It reminds us here of thin mints, which is a high compliment when you think about it. They’re simple to make and watch our video to see how easy it is to add designs to the topping and dress the brownies up nice! The green color of the topping also makes it great for any Saint Patrick’s Day celebration!
- 2 sticks butter
- 1 cup dark chocolate
- 3 eggs
- 1⅔ cup sugar
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- BROWNIES: Melt the chocolate and butter over a double boiler on medium heat.
- Sift the dry ingredients and set them aside.
- Whip the sugar and eggs for about 5 minutes to ribbon stage.
- Fold in the chocolate and butter mixture.
- Fold in the dry ingredients.
- Pour onto a parchment-lined sheet pan and bake at 325 °F for about 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let it cool for 30-40 minutes.
- TOPPING: In a mixer with the paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese until smooth.
- Add the butter and mix until smooth, scraping the bowl.
- Add the powdered sugar and mix until smooth, scraping the bowl.
- Add the Amoretti Crème de Menthe Swirl and Amoretti Crème de Menthe Extract, mixing until smooth and evenly colored.
- Invert the pan with the brownies and using a torch, heat the bottom to release them from the pan. The bottom is now the top, as it is the smooth, even side.
- Smooth the cream cheese mixture over the brownies and chill until set.
- Trimming the edges of the brownie after you remove it from the pan and after you put the topping on gives you a beautiful straight look perfect for plating. Also, the leftover bits make a great snack just for the chef!