- Nonstick vegetable oil spray
- 2 cups sugar
- ½ cup light corn syrup
- ½ cup water
- 1 x 14 oz sweetened condensed milk
- 1 stick (4 oz) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- ⅛ tsp Amoretti Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla Extract (20 fold) (or 1 tsp Amoretti Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla Extract (2 fold))
- ½ tsp sea salt
- Spray an 8 x 8 baking pan with nonstick spray and line with parchment paper; spray parchment lightly.
- Bring sugar, corn syrup and ½ cup water to boil in a medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring to dissolve sugar. Cook, swirling pan occasionally, until mixture turns a deep amber color (the color of dark maple syrup); about 12-14 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and whisk in sweetened condensed milk and butter (the mixture will bubble vigorously) until silky smooth. Fit pan with thermometer and return to medium-low heat. Cook, whisking constantly, until thermometer registers 243-245℉. Remove from heat and whisk in vanilla extract and sea salt. Pour into prepared pan; let cool. Cut into ¾” pieces and wrap individually in parchment paper – yields about 100 pieces.
Same procedure and ingredients as above, but after pouring caramel into pan, sprinkle with additional, flaky Sea Salt (such as Maldon or Marlborough) on top to taste.
Chipotle Chile Pepper
Same procedure as Classic Caramels until returning pan to heat to 243-245℉ as follows:
Add ½ teaspoon of ground Chipotle Chile peppers and stir well; fit pan with thermometer and return to medium low heat. Cook, whisking constantly, until thermometer registers 243-245℉. Remove from heat and whisk in vanilla extract and sea salt. Pour into prepared pan, sprinkle with additional Chipotle Chile Pepper flakes to taste and let it cool. Cut into ¾” pieces and wrap individually.