For best results, work in a cool and dry environment, free of all odors and particles.
- Heat water in double boiler over low-to-medium heat.
- Break chocolate into small pieces; divide into three roughly-equal amounts.
- Melt 1/3 chocolate in double boiler over low heat, stirring constantly.
- Add the second 1/3 into the melted chocolate; continue stirring until completely melted. Do not heat above 125°F.
- Remove pan of melted chocolate from heat source and add the last 1/3 chocolate pieces; continue stirring until all has melted.
- Prepare an ice bath and lower pan with melted chocolate into it, stirring constantly, and lower temperature to between 80–85°F.
- Remove pan from ice bath and set back into warm water. Bring temperature up one or two degrees while stirring. This is the perfect time to add an oil soluble flavor of your choice.
- Congratulations! Your chocolate is now tempered and ready to use for dipping or coating.