- 1½ cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1½ cups milk
- 8 slices Texas Toast bread
- 1 lb Sliced ham
- 1 lb Sliced turkey
- ½ lb Sliced Swiss cheese
- Dijon mustard
- box of toothpicks
- Preheat deep frying oil to 360ºF.
- Combine the flour, baking powder and salt in medium bowl. In another bowl, beat the eggs with the milk and stir the milk and egg mixture into the flour mixture until smooth.
- Spread 4 slices of Texas Toast bread with Dijon mustard. Distribute the ham, turkey and Swiss cheese evenly over the 4 bread slices; ham, 1 slice of Swiss cheese, turkey, and 1 slice of Swiss cheese. Spread 4 more slices of Texas Toast bread with Dijon mustard and place one on top of each sandwich, mustard side down, of course. Cut each sandwich in half diagonally, corner to corner and secure each sandwich half with about 5 toothpicks.
- If you are using a deep fryer, either put the basket on the bottom of the fryer or remove it completely. If you try to fry the battered sandwich halves in the basket, they will fuse with the wire mesh of the basket and you will destroy your Monte Cristos trying to remove them.
- Dip each sandwich half in batter to coat. Gently place two sandwich halves at a time into the deep fryer and fry for 3 minutes, turning once, until golden brown on both sides. Remove the sandwich halves from the oil with tongs, and drain on paper towels or a brown paper bag. Repeat, two sandwich halves at a time, until all sandwich halves are fried.
- Remove all the toothpicks (very important!), plate one sandwich half and dust it with powdered sugar. Serve with a huge dollop of strawberry or raspberry preserves and a mixed berry salad with crème fraiche, if desired.