If you’re planning a celebratory family dinner or perhaps you are going to host a dinner or cocktail party, appetizers would be the perfect starter course. You can serve them at the dinner table, or you can pass them around while your guests mingle and get acquainted.
Of course, you can use any one shellfish, but Amoretti suggests a selection of different shellfish as appetizers, because certain guests are bound to have certain preferences when it comes to seafood. Below Amoretti provides a recipe that uses shrimp, clams, mussels, oysters, and scallops, with a delicious sauce and a seasoned bread crumb stuffing. This recipe may be halved for a small family get together, or you can double, triple, or even quadruple the recipe for a cocktail or dinner party, depending on crowd size. Allow four to six pieces per guest.
- 1 dozen jumbo or colossal shrimp, butterflied and deveined, tails on
- 1 dozen of your favorite type of clam, scrubbed, purged, and loosened from the shell
- 1 dozen mussels, scrubbed, debearded, purged, and loosened from the shell
- 1 dozen oysters, scrubbed, purged, and loosened from the shell
- 1 dozen scallops, rinsed, cleaned, and loosened from the shell
- 1 cup Amoretti Premium Organic Extra Virgin finishing Olive Oil Infused with the Natural Flavor & Aroma of Kalamata Olives, divided
- 1 Tbs garlic, minced
- ½ cup dry white wine
- ½ cup Clamato juice
- ½ cup Italian parsley, chopped, divided
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper, divided
- 4 cups bread crumbs
- ½ cup Parmigiano-Reggiano, grated
- 2 Roma tomatoes, peeled, seeded and diced
- ½ cup fresh oregano, chopped
- Rock salt
- Lemon wedges, for garnish
- Combine the olive oil and minced garlic in a small bowl and allow it to steep while you prepare everything else.
- In medium bowl, combine the white wine, Clamato juice, butter, ¼ cup of parsley, and ¼ tsp of cayenne pepper.
- In a deep bowl, toss the breadcrumbs, Parmigiano-Reggiano, diced tomatoes, ½ of the garlic-infused olive oil, ¼ cup of the chopped parsley, ½ cup of fresh oregano, and ¼ tsp of cayenne pepper until thoroughly blended.
- Preheat the oven to 475°F.
- Prepare baking sheets for the appetizers by covering the bottom with rock salt. This will hold the shell fish flat. Discard the top shells and nestle the shell fish into the rock salt on the on the baking sheets. Spread open the shrimp and lay them on the rock salt. Add about 1 tsp of the white wine and clamato juice mixture to each shell and into the opening of each shrimp. Top each shrimp with about 1 Tbs of the bread-crumb topping. Add 1 ½ Tbs to each shell, packing it down tight, and drizzle the remaining infused oil over them. Bake the trays in a 475°F oven for 12 to 15 minutes, until the bread crumbs are golden brown and crispy. Transfer the shell fish and shrimp to serving plates and garnish with lemon wedges.