- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 Tbsp shortening
- 1½ cups warm water
- Canola oil for deep frying
- Cinnamon sugar for dusting
- Honey for drizzling or dipping
- In a large bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, and salt together. Stir in the water and shortening and mix it until the dough is smooth. Cover the dough and it let stand for 20 minutes.
- Roll out the dough into a rectangle ¼-inch thick on a floured board. Cut the rolled out dough into 3 inch squares.
- In a large pot fitted with a thermometer or a deep fryer, heat oil to 375℉. Gently place the squares into the hot oil and fry until they are golden brown, turning once. Allow the sopapillas to drain on paper towels.
- Dust the warm sopapillas with cinnamon sugar and serve them with honey.