Madeleines are a small, rich cake-like cookie (or are they a cookie-like cake?) baked in a shell-shaped mold. Unofficially known as France’s national cookie, the Madeleine has a rich, if somewhat esoteric past. There are several different stories concerning how they got their name, from the convent of the Sisters of St. Mary Magdalena to the exiled King of Poland to the wife of Louis XV. The only thing the stories agree upon is that the Madeleine most likely originated in the 18th Century, possibly in the Lorraine region of eastern France.
Regardless of how the name was acquired, or who originally created them, these tasty little molded cakes languished is relative obscurity until they were made famous by Marcel Proust in his autobiographical novel Remembrance of Things Past, where he extolled their virtues as an accompaniment to a simple cup of tea.
Madeleines are easy to make, and even easier to eat. The only hard part is trying to keep up with the demand, because everyone you know keeps stopping by for tea in hopes you will share your Madeleines.
We believe you will enjoy baking, eating, and sharing these delicate little French cakes, and baking them is easy with Amoretti Premium Exotic Floral Syrups and the recipe below. If you do not have Madeleine molds, you can purchase them at most kitchen stores, or you can order them from Amazon.com, along with Amoretti Premium Violet Lavender and Fiori di Sicilia Syrup!
Exotic Floral Flavored Madeleines
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup sugar
- 8 Tbs (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 Tbs Amoretti Premium Violet Lavender Syrup or Amoretti Premium Fiori di Sicilia Syrup
- cooking spray
- ½ cup confectioner’s sugar (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Spray the Madeleine pans with baking spray.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together in a small bowl.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or using a medium size mixing bowl and a hand mixer, add the eggs and sugar and beat on medium speed until mixture turns a light yellow and thickens. Add the flour mixture and continue beating until completely incorporated. Gently fold in the melted butter and the Amoretti Premium Exotic Floral Syrup. Do not over mix. Allow batter to rest for one hour.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pans, filling them ¾ full and bake the Madeleines at 375°F for 8-10 minutes, or until they are golden.
- Cool in pans for 1 minute, then unmold onto wire racks (scalloped pattern-side up) to cool. Dust the Madeleines with confectioner’s sugar prior to serving if desired.