Uncommon Fruit Syrups: Banana Syrup
The banana is a fruit staple that’s often overlooked for the more exotic fruits. But, you might be surprised to learn that the banana isn’t the simple fruit you thought it was. In honor of our delicious, all-natural banana syrup, we’ve dug up some interesting facts about the fruit that might surprise you!
Bananas About Bananas
- It’s suspected that bananas are the first fruit ever cultivated by human beings.
- Bananas were introduced to the West when Alexander the Great “discovered” them in India (327 B.C.)
- The bananas that we’re most familiar with, Cavendish bananas, are all practically clones of the same plant, which makes them hyper-susceptible to disease.
- The Cavendish banana came into the mainstream after Panama Disease wiped out the Gros Michel banana.
- Because the Cavendish is at-risk for a similar kind of pandemic, scientists are working to develop a disease-resistant banana.
- Bananas made their first appearance in the United States relatively recently in 1876 at the Philadelphia Centennial Celebration. It was at a fairly steep price, too!
- Contrary to popular belief, the banana peel is edible. However, it has to be cooked down a little bit, or else you would give your jaw a serious workout! (Our banana syrup is definitely the easiest way to enjoy the great taste of bananas.)
- The famous banana split was developed over one hundred years ago at the Tassel Pharmacy in Latrobe, Pennsylvania.
- The average American consumes 26.2 pounds of bananas per year.
- Half of those with latex allergies also have banana allergies.
Two Must-Try Banana Drink Recipes
If you’re hankering for some banana-flavored drink recipes, we’ve got you covered! Here are two recipes that put Amoretti Premium Banana Syrup to good use, if we do say so ourselves:
Amoretti Macadamia Banana Latte: This recipe has it all: espresso, macadamia nut flavor, banana, and a little bit of whipped cream. It’s the perfect early afternoon pick-me-up to get you through the day. Plus, it only takes five minutes or so to make this little recipe!
Amoretti Banana Chocolate Latte: The only thing better than espresso and banana is chocolate and banana. You can make this recipe hot or iced; either way, it’s a delicious treat that you can enjoy year round! Use your own chocolate, or pick up a bottle of Amoretti Premium Milk Chocolate Syrup.