Unusual Beverage Ingredients for Your Drink Recipes
If you’re looking for unusual beverage ingredients, then you’ve come to the right place. With more than 115 premium syrups in our online store, we’ve got something for everyone. However, we certainly don’t claim to be the only source for unique beverage ingredients. Nature’s rich bounty provides some pretty wild ingredients that you can use in your drink recipes at home. Here are a few of our favorite off-the-wall cocktail ingredients…
5 Unusual Beverage Ingredients
- Allspice. When ground up, this round pepper only bears a faint resemblance to traditional black peppercorns. Its sweet aroma and spiciness makes allspice a wonderfully unique beverage ingredient. Mix it with cloves or other similar sweet spices for your drink recipes. Allspice is a dominant flavor, so make sure to pair it with non-dominant spirits.
- Aniseed. Many people are surprised to learn that aniseed is actually a member of the parsley family. Aniseed has long been used to flavor food (the Romans used it in flavoring wedding cakes). However, we’ve become quite fond of using it in cocktails. Try making your own aniseed/vodka infusion!
- Cayenne. Cayenne doesn’t have much aroma, but don’t let it fool you. This spice, made from the pods of chili peppers, is quite intense. Try adding this spice to your favorite Bloody Mary drink recipe.
- Chili Pepper. Did you know that chili peppers are actually fruit? We’re fans of using chili peppers in spicy drinks. If you don’t have any ground chipotle on hand, then try using chili pepper instead for the Little Italy Fire. The result won’t be quite as smoky, but will still be delicious. Alternatively, create your own drink recipe that highlights the intense spiciness of chili peppers.
- Wormwood. Wormwood is best known for its prevalent use in absinthe. However, you can pick up wormwood bitters or dried wormwood online. A quick online search will provide plenty of options! We recommend sticking to wormwood bitters and avoiding dry wormwood – especially if you are not familiar with its effects.
We’ve already covered some of the more basic beverage ingredients like mint, rosemary, basil, sage, and cilantro. We’ve also gone over ginger root, vanilla bean, and coriander seeds. But… if you’re looking for some unusual beverage ingredients that come in a bottled, easy-to-use form, then we recommend checking out our novelty premium syrups. Try our authentic green tea drink syrup for something truly unique!